Monday, October 31, 2011

Most Haunted Hotel in America


A Scary Treat for You on Halloween:
Adventures at the Stanley Hotel

According to a recent Travelocity article, the #1 most haunted hotel in America is the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park, Colorado.

We've been guests of the Stanley several times over the years. This 100 year-old hotel is reported to be haunted and was the inspiration for Stephen King's book "The Shining," which was made into a film by Stanley Kubrick and a mini-series, which aired on ABC in 1997. 

The following video, made on the 100th anniversary of the hotel in 2009, contains some photos of the hotel as well as stills from the movies and recounts some of our experiences there. Be patient. This is a large file and may take some time to load.

 
If the video doesn't load, or you want to see
a larger version, you can also view it here.

Many strange occurrences take  place at this hotel. You'll have to spend a night at the Stanley to judge for yourself whether the hauntings there are fact. . . or fiction.



8 comments:

Cherie said...

And a Happy Halloween to you too. I'm gonna pass on the video. I'm still scarred from one of yours from several years ago. I'm a delicate soul, don't ya know. :P LOL :)

Lisa (Mountain Photog) said...

I remember that video. LOL! No frights in this one, Cherie, I promise. Just a creepy photo or two. :)

Kilauea Poetry said...

Thank you Lisa..this was an unexpected treat! I had no knowledge of this. I've rarely seen horror but happen to watch the Shining- most likely because of Jack N..can't forget him popping his head out (here's Johnny!!) (grin)
The lobby is cool and I love that MacGregor room-those windows are wild!! I think the hallways make it spooky (of course the music does too) (lol) The wood is beautiful and the view is fabulous!! I don't blame your daughter and friend for not wanting to stay in any pitch black room! Wow, the last photo of the ball room is really neat..in fact the very year my mom was born.
I think you did an excellent job with your Halloween video post!!
Wishing you a wonderful day~
(Hope to see you more often)

Lisa (Mountain Photog) said...

Thanks, Regina! Glad you enjoyed the video! I hope to be here more often, too, though I'm not holding my breath. Too much going on still!

Linda said...

Ya know, it's funny, Amanda and I were just talking about the Stanley not that long ago when we went up to the Mountain View Grand Resort and Spa in New Hampshire. That, of course, inspired me to do a little research on the Stanley which of course then inspired me to put it on my personal bucket list of places I'd like to stay someday. Your video simply reassures me that it most definitely needs to stay on the list!

How is it that there are no other guests in any of the shots? It looks like you've got the entire Stanley all to yourself with the exception of an occasional tour guide or two! Definitely adds to the creepiness ... as does the music!

Lisa (Mountain Photog) said...

You should definitely put the Stanley on your list, Linda! We almost do have the Stanley to ourselves when we go up in the spring as that is the off season. I wandered around taking photos one night all by myself and didn't run into a single person other than the night clerk at the front desk, but the only place I felt uneasy was in the billiard room. I didn't linger there. :) Have you stayed at the Mount Washington Hotel in NH? That's supposed to be haunted as well.

Dianne said...

I remember the video that scared Cherie!!

I love the hotel and would adore staying there. Spirits tend to seek me out, I often hear or smell or otherwise sense a presence around me. My Nana said I had "the vision" and that she knew if from the day I was born

So cool to have you around again.

Lisa (Mountain Photog) said...

Thanks, Dianne! It really is a very warm and inviting hotel, despite the spirit presence there--or perhaps because of it. :) Have you seen the show "Long Island Medium"? You could be "New Jersey Medium!"

Related Posts with Thumbnails