Saturday, March 27, 2010

Earth Hour 2010

Environment #1

I didn't want Earth Hour to pass today without a mention.

Earth Hour, organized by the World Wildlife Fund, is an annual event calling for action on climate change by asking that everyone around the globe turn off their lights for one hour (8:30-9:30 p.m. local time). 

Click on image for larger view.
Original is 2400x1200 and worth seeing.
A view of the Earth at night as seen from space.

 

Last year, 80 million Americans and 318 U.S. cities officially voted for action with their light switch, joining iconic landmarks from around the world that went dark for Earth Hour, including:
  • Empire State Building
  • Brooklyn Bridge
  • Broadway Theater Marquees
  • Las Vegas Strip
  • United Nations Headquarters
  • Golden Gate Bridge
  • Seattle’s Space Needle
  • Church of Latter-Day Saints Temple
  • Gateway Arch in St. Louis
  • Great Pyramids of Giza
  • Acropolis and Parthenon in Athens
  • Christ the Redeemer Statue in Rio de Janeiro
  • St. Peter’s Basilica in Vatican City
  • Big Ben and Houses of Parliament in London
  • Elysee Palace and Eiffel Tower in Paris
  • Beijing’s Birds Nest and Water Cube
  • Symphony of Lights in Hong Kong
  • Sydney’s Opera House




In the past, we've gone the entire night, not just an hour, with no lights and other electrical appliances. It's really quite nice to have an evening without lights, TV, computer or stereos. Very peaceful. I'm hoping to be able to do that again this evening as well.



What can you do to raise awareness on climate change? It's simple, just turn off your lights tonight during Earth Hour and ask friends, family, neighbors, school or workplace to do the same!


Check out the Earth Hour website for more information. 

6 comments:

bobbie said...

I'm so happy to see someone else promoting Earth Hour. Hope it's a grand success!

Lisa (Mountain Photog) said...

Hi Bobbie! I just saw your post! Excellent! I love Earth Hour. We participate every year and enjoy it so much we vow to do it at least once a month--but of course we forget. I think I'll write it on the calendar so we can make it a regular event.

Cherie said...

I always think that reducing power usage is fantastic, and I love how this is from the grass roots (as far as I know) and not some guy hawking about it on a stage who probably arrived there on his private jet. Though I must confess that I was driving around during the proper time ** in my region ** (Oh, that did NOT sound right. It didn't have anything to do with "my region." TMI, I know. LOL) I guess I'll have to make a private statement on another day. ;)

Dianne said...

cherie and her region made me laugh!!

I often turn off all the crap
read by candlelight
or one small light since my eyes are older than dirt

the other side of my house and my neighbors could not bear to go without power for a moment

I told them that when the revolution comes Mother Nature will remember me kindly, them - not so much ;)

Unknown said...

How cool; I think I can see my house! (hehe)

Earth Hour is a great idea and I'm impressed by the list of icons that participated last year!

I try really hard to "greenify" everything about my life that I can. I find that green choices are often simpler, more basic options that fit well with my chosen lifestyle anyway. Bonus! :o)

My fave green option is cloth bags. I am getting ready to order a bunch with my photos on them; to give away to friends. :o) I think that will be my next giveaway on my blog too, so I can spread the green!

Lisa (Mountain Photog) said...

The "in my region" comment made me laugh too, Cherie. LOL! Although I applaud the efforts of the guy with the private jet I believe he'd make more of a statement if he used a bus. ;)

I know what you mean about the eyes not doing well with reading by candlelight, Dianne. I usually use a book light when I read at night anyway. Not technically electrical, though it does use batteries. I wonder if I can find a wind-up book light? We have wind-up flashlights and they are terrific!

I think I can see your house too, Krista! LOL! I try to do as much "greenifying" as I can as well and use cloth bags most of the time. I have one big bag that fits into a neat little pouch that I carry in my purse. It's great! Are you ordering the cloth bags from Zazzle? I've been meaning to stop by your blog and see how that's going for you. It's spring break now, though, so catching up on your blog (and all my other favorite blogs) will have to wait. If only I could clone myself. . .

Related Posts with Thumbnails